Monday, June 27, 2011

King Mango Strut to be held last day of the year

I like that this year's King Mango Strut will be on New Year's Eve day. The Strut is usually on the last Sunday of the year, but since the last Sunday this year is Christmas day, the Strut had to be moved.

So it's a Saturday now, not Sunday, but the last Saturday, December 31.

I like this because one of the best times I ever had at a Strut was the last time it fell on New Year's Eve. I am told that was back in 2005. Hard to believe so long ago, but it left such great memories.

Maybe the Strut should be New Year's Eve every year. After all, it spouted out because back in the early 1980s, the group was not permitted into the Orange Bowl Parade, which was every New Year's Eve.

I like New Year's Eve because there is always a cousin or two in town and I have a large family here in Miami and there's always something going on, and I guess the Strut earlier in the afternoon starts the build up to the big night. So I am going to savor this year's New Year's Eve version of the King Mango Strut. The BID (Business Improvement District) marketing committee agreed to the date and funding, they give the Strut organizers $15,000 in matching funds each year, the Stutters have to come up with another $15,000 and also whatever else they need to close the streets and put on the parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment