Sunday, June 12, 2011

It was a nice phone call from out of the blue

One day, I started promoting my new comic strip. As I was doing that, I got a call out of the blue from an older man, who I did not know, he was 83 and coincidentally, he's an old Grovite. He had seen a joke book that my comics were in some years back.

He had tracked me down looking for a friend, Joan Nielsen, who used to do the Social Magazine, she put that out monthly for about 20 years, my company used to do the work -- typsetting, layout, printing, etc. Well Joan and I put out a joke book in the late 1980s and my cartoons were throughout the book.

This older gentleman was trying to locate Joan so he could purchase more books, and he tracked me down instead. We started talking and one thing led to another and I mentioned Coconut Grove. He told me he used to live in the Grove back in the day, and it was so interesting to hear about the old Grove from him. He was here in the early 1960s. He lived at Grove Bay, I think he said, it was where that condo is across from Monty's now, on Aviation and S. Bayshore.

He asked me if Monty Trainer was still around. I told him of course, that I see him almost daily and that I was very friendly with Monty. He asked about Dave Hill and the Taurus and all sorts of old Grove places. Most are gone now, but it's nice to know that many are still here.

It's funny how out of nowhere this man just tracked me down because he liked my comics, which I was working on to reprise at the time, and that he was Grove connected, but he didn't have a clue that I was in the Grove or Grove connected.

He said he liked the old neighborhood feel of Coconut Grove and wondered if that was a thing of the past. I assured him that it is still like that here and that is still one of the most charming things about Coconut Grove. I told him about the Grapevine and told him he might get a kick out of seeing what is going on in the Grove these days. We promised to keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment