Monday, March 30, 2009

You can't help those who don't want to be helped

After the Earth Hour fiasco and some of the comments left here (see stories below), I am thinking that maybe the Chamber and other groups are going too much overboard by trying to make events happen that maybe shouldn't since there is such apathy in the Village.

I go to most meetings in the village, to cover them for the Grapevine, and I see the same people over and over at every meeting. There are a handful who want to be involved and who feel the need to do good for everyone.

Perhaps some new blood should step in and if they don't then they can't complain that their businesses are not prospering, since they don't want to do anything to help it.

Many say they don't know about events, but I publish most events before, during and after. And I know you are reading this. Yes, you. :)

I hear the same old stories that people go to meetings and nothing gets done, but when you have the same handful of people doing things for the Village Council and the Chamber and the Bed Race and the Merchants and the BID and the PowWow, it really spreads them quite thin.

While they are all good intentioned and honestly want to get things done, they are only able to do so much. Aside from all these committees and groups, these people also work full time.

I found it so funny that one night Adam Weirich was sworn in as a Village Council member and the next morning at 9 am, I found him sitting next to me at the Bed Race meeting, and there were two other Village Council members at the Bed Race meeting. This explained it all to me at that very moment. A handful of people do all the work. The rest don't want to be bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment