Friday, February 25, 2011

Parking issues always a hot spot in the Grove

The following letter came in last night, the author wishes to remain anonymous, I usually don't allow anonymous posts, but I think this one is important enough to keep her identity concealed. I am only posting this because I was recently asked to be on some sort of Grove parking commission committee to try and solve parking issues in the Grove and after the Arts Festival, I have received lots of emails about overpriced parking lots, where the lots have raised their usual fees from $5 per day to up to $30 and $40 on festival days.

$9.00 seems to be the standard rate at the CocoWalk garage unless you are going to the movies, where the rate then drops to $2.00.


I'm from Minnesota and have been living in Florida, specifically Coconut Grove, for three years now. I might be wrong, but I consider myself a local at this point. I love living here, love the people, the weather, the "small town" feel of this community, working here, walking my dog here, getting coffee at the Bookstore. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the point.

My boyfriends mother is here visiting from Italy, and tonight we took her to DolceVita for some gelato. We live 1.3 miles from CocoWalk. She is older so we drove. I parked in the CocoWalk parking lot. We got our gelato, she loved it. We walked back to the car. I went to pay the automated machine, and it said $9.00! This had to be a mistake!

I drove out of the lot, hoping it was a computer error. To my surprise, NO!...it was correct. My ticket was stamped 9:35 pm, I left at 10:30 pm, ONE HOUR! We all have seen the business in The Grove slump...why??? In addition to other reasons, PARKING!!! I cannot believe they think that $9.00 is a fair price for an hour!

When I explained to the parking attendant that I was only parked in the lot for an hour, and that I was a local... she pointed at the "Flat Rate" sign.

I want to assure you that I have seen The Grove on busy nights, this was not one of those nights. I was not there to drink, or dance, or be obnoxious. Just wanted some ice cream at a local place. This will never happen again. We wonder why the people are going elsewhere? Maybe if we make the parking affordable we would all have a little extra money to spend at our local businesses. I feel like I was robbed, outright!

I know writing to you is not going to change anything, but I'm so angry about this I didn't know who to tell. I'm just wondering if there are any other locals out there that think this is completely absurd? Needless to say I will NOT be parking at CocoWalk EVER again, they owe me at least $6!

No comments:

Post a Comment