Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Grapevine is actually a turn-key operation

As you know, I am selling the Grapevine. I have been speaking with prospective buyers. There seem to be many people interested, but many feel it just works like magic and that you just sit and wait for it to happen. It's really a lot of work, and the stories don't just come in, you have to actually go out and get them and make them happen. You have to have people pose for pictures, even if they don't want to, you have to haunt new business owners into giving up info, especially their actual opening dates and menus if they are restaurants. You have to follow up with stories, interview people and find stories when there are none staring you in the face that week.

I remember standing in the middle of the street one time trying to get the perfect photo of something and a guy walked by and yelled out, "Hey Grape!" And I asked, "How did you know it was me?" And he said, "Who else would be standing in the middle of the street, dodging traffic for a photo?" So it's sort of like that. You need to go out of your way to get the news and the photos.

It's very rewarding in that you are involved in everything that happens in town and you are usually one of the first to know about things. Also, you can be a catalyst for things that happen and an intermediary between various factions around town. That is mostly done behind the scenes. Many things that happen around here I've had my hand in and you can, too. I have two meetings today regarding events I am trying to get going in the Grove. This is the fun part of being the Grapevine.

There is an article online about running a local news website called, "
The Tough Road to Running a Local News Website." What's interesting is that we are what they are taking about in the article, except for the tough road part. I've done that for you. It's basically smooth sailing with The Grapevine. The Grapevine is a turn-key operation, all you have to do is get the news, the infrastructure and connections are already here.

We are totally Google friendly, we have the ads and we have the news partnerships. Now all we need is someone willing to step in and take over the reigns. If that is you, please email me and let's talk.

PS -- I have met with people who want to do me the "favor" of taking The Grapevine over for free and possibly split the profits. I have family and 100 friends who I can hand it over to if that is the case, I am looking to sell it. For money. So please, keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment