Wednesday, November 17, 2010

BNI is not a very friendly group

I went to the BNI meeting at The Grove Spot last night. BNI stands for Business Network International. I did't like it, they were not very friendly, at least that was my impression after spending an hour there.

I have never asked for a refund before, but I am requesting one in full for the entrance fee I paid. It was a rip off.

I tried to fit in, but unless you are into listening to people pitch themselves non-stop or unless you are there to promote yourself non-stop, it is not the place to be. It's sort of a Chamber of Commerce on steroids only this chamber does not promote a town or city, they promote themselves. It's a non-stop infomercial for how great they are.

No one wanted their photo taken, so I have none. They were either all in a mood or in the witness protection program. I am guessing it was a mood, because Ada, a member of BNI and a photographer, was graciously accepted and she took photos. Me, not so lucky. Even the door people signing me in declined to have their photos taken.

So I left insulted and offended, since it is all about them pushing their biz, but when I tried to do mine (taking photos and covering the event), I was shut out. I think it was because I was not a member. Because that is the first question you are asked by everyone there. It isn't "Hello, how are you doing?" it is, "Are you a member of BNI?" When you tell them you aren't they start in with the sales pitch, which is scarily cultish. When you say you don't want to become a member, you are shunned.

I would suggest that people avoid BNI. You can do nicer and better networking at a chamber event than at this cliquish event. I ended up having a few drinks with friends at the front bar and getting a burger and coming home disillusioned.

When I complained about it later, a lady who is a member of BNI told me (on Facebook) that I was anti-business for the Grove and she was going to tell on me. They apparently don't believe in people expressing their personal opinions either. She also said that the Grove should be thankful that BNI is here. Apparently these selfish clods are doing us all a favor by their mere presence. This is the exact attitude I faced from most last night. Frankly, I think the Grapevine does more to promote business in the Grove than BNI ever will. I go to dozens of events and networkers a month, so I had something to compare it with and this was the worst ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment