Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Tying things up

I won't go on about the Grove Bay vote, but after writing for months against the project, I think I should just tie things up after the election.

So the Stop Grove Bay campaign lost and the Grove Harbour project won. Ironically, if it had been only a Grove-wide vote, the issue would have lost, so this says a lot. Voters in Coconut Grove turned down the project 55% vs. 45%. But voters with no knowledge of the issue voted citywide, so people up in Wynwood and Belle Meade and Miami Shores voted for what we should do in our little village.

It did show the true colors of many people and organizations, many good, many bad. I have a friend who had Grove Bay as a client, but he had to drop the client because his conscience would not allow him to work for them. Others sold themselves out for various reasons.

So now it goes to the courts, as there are three lawsuits against the project. If those are thrown out, I can only tell everyone to get ready for non-stop dump trucks, cement trucks and lots of noise and traffic on South Bayshore for a long time and then lots of traffic after that.

Perhaps Stop Grove Bay can reform into a group that will be Secede From Miami or Incorporate Coconut Grove. We need to be our own incorporated village and call our own shots. As much as I like Miami Shores, I don't feel they have the right to decide what goes on on my street. I honestly can't see myself here in Coconut Grove, voting for or against a project on their waterfront, makes no sense.

Did most of those voters who voted for the project ever set foot at the Scotty's/Chart House site? I am betting no.

No comments:

Post a Comment