Saturday, May 5, 2012

She picked up the litter, now what?



As a walker in the Grove, I am acutely aware of the litter problem.  But, the real problem is the scarcity of garbage pails.  I am inclined to bend down to pick up litter, IF THERE IS A GARBAGE PAIL IN SIGHT.  Otherwise, I'm not going to pick it up and carry with me to my final destination.

This is especially relevant on my four mile power walks, when I least want to carry litter more than a block before being able to dispose of it.  I believe that 85% of litter occurs because there are no garbage pails in sight when people are done with their stuff.  Another 10% is wind borne, and 5% is from the true litterbug, who doesn't give a s..t.

However, is it more economical to put garbage pails on every corner, and have them collected regularly, or hire workers to pick up the litter?  The former would be far more effective in the fight against litter.  I guess someone would have to study the question to get the answer.  When I give a big party, I provide multiple garbage receptacles and ashtrays.  At the end of the night, I have to pick up almost nothing.  Expand that scenario city-wide, and we may have a solution.

Maybe we can ask citizens to donate specified garbage pails.  They can choose where they want it placed, and they get their name on a plaque fastened to the can!  Who knows what can happen!  Just a thought.

Best regards,
Deborah Crisp
Coconut Grove

No comments:

Post a Comment