Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Day after the election . . .

Wednesday was quiet, but beautiful. It was bright and sunny. The world didn't come to an end even though we didn't receive the election results we had hoped for.

I went to Calamari for lunch with my friend Eric Swensson. He had actually won a gift card at the last chamber mixer, but since he was the one pulling the winning numbers and he won, they didn't think it was fair that he get the prize, so I mentioned we would go sometime this week, and we did.

I parked at the Coconut Grove Bank lot and walked all the way down to Calamari and as I walked, lots of people had something to say about the election, but not really much about the results, but more about the lack of voters. I stopped into my friend Monty Trainer's office to rib him about his guy (Sarnoff winning), but we just ended up having a good natured chat. Monty was actually writing thank you cards -- by hand -- to people that he met at an event the night before, some art event somewhere I think he said it was. I popped into the BID office next door to Monty's but no one was in, so I kibitzed with Louis Del Borrello, the Grove Ambassador, as I usually do and then I headed to lunch across town.


Later at night, Michelle Niemeyer ended up at Mr. Moe's, ground zero for the anti-Sarnoff crowd. She didn't go to cry in her beer after losing the election but to celebrate her birthday, which was a bit bitter sweet as it could have been another celebratory celebration as well. Brian Davis from Barracuda was there and lots of friends. They called and texted me to come over, but I was at a family event and couldn't make it. By the way, Nov. 19, is Mr. Moe's 10th anniversary, there's a big shin dig to celebrate on that day.

Michelle told me a funny story, on the phone, about running into that guy who has been in the news lately for spray painting Sarnoff. She accidentally ran into him while he was still spray painting signs the day after the election. Guess he didn't hear that election day came and went.

The King Mango Strutters (the Mangoheads) had their get together at Greenstreets and the JCI's had a board meeting across town.

On the other side of town, too, Joe Grant and Yassu Tafari started off their new Wednesday night Comedy and Cinema Night at the Paragon theater at CocoWalk. It's the Improv meets movies. Comedian Mike Mercadal introduces comedians along with the best independent films in the business at this new event. There is bottle service and it's a really new kind of thing for the Grove.

Right around the block, The Grove Spot held it's highly popular Salsa Meets Jazz and as the music wafted into the night, Wednesday night ended on a high note. Wednesdays are getting quite busy around here with so much going on each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment