Saturday, November 26, 2011

It's a small community inside the larger community

gym
Coconut Grove is a very small community, and inside this small community are so many other small communities and one that I really like is the gym. I usually go at the same times during the week and so do the people I see there, so it's the same group of people that see each other most of the time and I like that.

I especially like going early on Saturday mornings. I usually go between 7:30 and 8:30 am, for those of you who are my Facebook friends, I'm sure you see me checking in at those times. I like it then because there aren't many people there and the people there are the same familiar faces week after week, which could get boring, but it's not. I sort of look forward to seeing these people.

There's Sandy there and then in comes Larry and Erin and Joe are in that corner and it's just such a familiar thing. Plus, when you're at the gym that early, you don't have to wait to use the equipment and everyone has their routines and we stay out of each others' way, not on purpose, but it just has a special rhythm to it where we just do our own thing and co-exist.

I go to the gym one or two other days during the week, usually after lunchtime, and again, there are the same people there, not the Saturday morning people, but the same after lunchtime people. And I find the whole dichotomy of the whole thing quite interesting. It's a little village inside the larger village of Coconut Grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment