Friday, November 4, 2011

Going back to Stars Hollow

Originally I ran the Grapevine like a little reality show, which I didn't realize I was doing until people mentioned it. I was fashioning the Grove after Mayberry or Stars Hollow (from the Gilmore Girls). One time at a Grove event, a new resident, Keri, came up to me to introduce herself and she told me that she saw the Grove as a Stars Hollow portrayed in the Grapevine pages, which is what prompted her and her husband Josh to move to Coconut Grove. We were at the Gifford Lane Art Stroll and as we walked up the block I pointed out different people that I had written about that week.

She was actually very giddy to meet everyone. Sue McConnell had called me over and said, "Tom, this young lady is anxious to meet you." So I went over and we became fast friends.

Keri thought it was amazing to see the "characters" in real life, it was almost as if we were on a movie set or a Hollywood back lot and these were all the stars she had been reading about and seeing in the Grapevine.

David Collins from the BID once told me that he saw how I was writing about the same characters and places and how tourists would come to see those characters and places after reading about them. This is true, people have actually asked me to take them to certain locations or to meet certain people that I would write about. So I am thinking that this should be the focus of the Grapevine now -- going back to its roots. Being our little reality show as it was in the past.

Also, I am going to start charging for coverage like so many other publications do. It will cost now to have your event written about before or after. I of course will go out and cover events that I like, but if you do want something talked about beforehand or you want photos of the event afterwards, that will cost now. Either that, or make the Grapevine an in-kind sponsor of your event or organization. Email me for details on that.

I've given away the milk for free for over six years now. No more. Here are
the rates for coverage. Here are the rates for ads. You'll notice the rates were lowered and they are flat rates now.

Ok, all that being said, I'm off to Food Truck Friday at the Coconut Grove Bank parking lot. Mr. Good Stuff has an incredible burger that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment