Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It's all about the people

I think I finally figured out why I am conflicted about all the changes that are planned for Coconut Grove. It's not that I fear change or that I am against new shopping places and gleaming new condos. I think the bottom line is that I fear the character of the neighborhood, mostly the people, will change. I think a couple of people used the word "community" in comments on other posts here.

In Coconut Grove, you can literally walk down the street and be stopped by a dozen people to chat. You can walk into a restaurant and know almost everyone at every table. Even at City Hall meetings or Village Council meetings, it seems that everyone knows everyone else.

You can walk into Scotty's and know half the place, there are many tourists there, too, but it has the Grove feel, whatever that is. This new Harbour place is going to feel like The Falls or Bayside, now maybe not, but I do see it as a tourist destination and not for locals. Again, I could be wrong.

I think that is what I fear. Losing that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment