Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I forgot what a nightmare the MPA really is

I haven't written about the Miami Parking Authority (MPA) lately because for the past few years, I've been parking at a lot, using a monthly decal. The decal didn't come this month so I've been using the meters and I was brought back to that parking meter horror. I had forgotten how bad it is.

First off, they are always broken and when they do work, there are problems and one major problem is the slowness of the meter. If you are trying to park during a rain storm, be prepared to get drenched as the meters work at a snail's pace.

One day, I put the money in the meter and up popped a box asking for my license plate number. I didn't remember it, so I had to run down the block and across the street to get the plate number (also a bad thing in the pouring rain). I had to run far because the two closest meters were not working.

The next time I went to use the meters, this feature was eliminated, so I am assuming it was a mistake or the MPA got an earful from angry people.

Another day, I put the money in the meter, I think it was $3.00, and nothing happened. This was usual for the meters, as nothing happens for a bit and you assume it's broken. This is why it's bad in a storm. I hit the "cancel" button and it did cancel the transaction, but it kept my money! To be fair, it did give me a little receipt that said "refund" but that is all it said. It never indicated how or where to get the refund. There is nothing on the refund ticket to indicate what to do next.


 So that's another way the MPA gets money, it gives refunds that don't exist.

This is what is keeping people from coming to the Grove. I always hear that it's the parking issue and I assume it's the lack of parking. It's not the lack of parking, it's the rip off and inconvenience of parking.

To be continued . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment