Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Too busy to grab a grape

There's this weird thing I do, or don't do when I am out at events -- I don't eat or drink, hardly ever. I don't know why, I think I am more intent on getting the story and photos, so I never really grab anything.

Last week at the Art Festival poster unveiling, they had so much food and drink and I think I had a glass of Coke only at the end of the night, actually it was Pepsi. I went to the Arts Festival sponsor breakfast which had a huge buffet of anything you could imagine and I had a half glass of orange juice and I think a mini doughnut! Strange.

I'll hit 10 galleries during Gallery Walk night and not so much as grab a grape (you think the Grapevine would at least grab a grape)! Last Gallery Walk, I opened all the wine at one of the galleries, you know, uncorked it, yet I didn't have a taste. One gallery complained about the schnores that come in. Schnores, that's my friend Tony's word for people that just come for the food and drink and not the event. You know, free food. I'm told that so many people come in, walk to the food, stock up and exit without looking at one piece of art.

One gallery owner used to tell me of a guy who would come in, load up on all the food, take it with him, and leave! She never stopped him, she felt it was rude. I keep telling the galleries to stop with the food. Do they really need to feed people who don't care about the art, not even enough to take a peek at it?

I've gone to restaurant openings and not had a morsel. I've gone to Chamber events and have walked around with my drink tickets all night, too busy to use them, I end up giving them away. I was one of the sponsors at the Grovetoberfest. I had carte blanche, I don't think I had a beer, maybe one. I don't remember.

So if you see me wandering around the street at night, hand me a grape or something to help me keep up my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment