Sunday, February 5, 2012

Gallery Walk was lots of fun last night

gallerywalk1
Last night's Gallery Walk was very good. Each month the corner of Grand Avenue and Commodore Plaza gets busier and busier and now with the new wine shop, which people were flocking to, there are even more people. Live music could be found at most galleries, along with refreshments and lots of art. I don't know if it was a full moon last night or what, but people seemed to be pulling me in all directions and it was a bit frenetic.

One artist chased me out of one gallery for taking photos, but I wasn't taking photos of his work, I always ask for permission before I take photos of the art, I was just taking photos of the crowds, there were quite a lot of people out last night and I wanted to capture that. Tomorrow I'll post about the Drum Circle, which had more people than I have seen in a long time.

There was something crazy about last night. I don't know what it was but all the resturants were packed, there were long wating times to eat at Lulu, Greenstreet, Bombay Darbar and LoKal. Which is a good problem to have, I think. I ran into the guys who run Sandbar, which also had people spilling out into the street and they were going from restaurant to restaurant trying to find a quick place to eat since they had to get back to their own bar.

So after my ranting this past week about all the empty storefronts, it seemed like the places that are open are dealing with overflow crowds. Yes, I said crowds. I was telling my friend Ken that I said that there was no one in town, and all of a sudden, everyone showed up! It was a great Saturday night.

More pictures at our Facebook page.

One funny thing: The guy in the red tie below, was talking to Monty Trainer when I arrived at Monty's gallery, the Hunter Gallery. Monty asked me to uncork all the wine, so while I was doing that, I overheard the guy tell Monty that they first all showed up at Peacock Park because they thought they were playing at the Arts Festival on the big stage in front of massive crowds. They were all so excited over the thought of that. Monty laughed and said maybe one day, but for last night, they were playing at the Hunter Gallery. The Coconut Grove Arts Festival is February 18 to 20.

They were really good, they'll probably make it to the big stage one day.


gallery6

No comments:

Post a Comment