Thursday, January 5, 2012

People get what they deserve

Tonight is the TreeWatch meeting at the Peacock Garden Cafe. They are trying in vain to save the trees, when all they had to do was actually go out and vote at election time and this would have saved the trees. I don't think I have run into one resident in favor of the trees coming down around Coconut Grove as part of the street scape project. Those who spoke up for the issue had their marching orders and they spoke up, but the average tax paying citizens are still against the trees coming down, or being replaced or whatever the City is calling it, in the name of progress.

I read Al Crespo's take on the whole thing today, calling TreeWatch a bunch of whiners, etc. and I have to agree with him to a point, but I think that Al is singling out TreeWatch because that is the big issue on the table in the Grove right now, but I think when it comes to all the idiotic ideas that come and go around here, things might have changed if the election results were different. I know for a fact that those involved with TreeWatch (most anyway), did everything in their power to change things at election time. Liliana Dones and Santiago Villegas are always involved and I know for a fact they they voted. They are the ones issuing appeals and trying to do something before it is too late.

But I wonder how many of the others going to the meeting tonight actually voted? They just found out about the tree issue less than a month ago it seems and this tree issue has been in the news (and on the Grapevine) for over a year or so now. So to try and stop the project now is sort of like closing the barn door after the horses already got out, where were all these concerned citizens a year ago, or on election day for that matter?


But it's true what Al says, and that is that fact that you get what you deserve.

I won't be at tonight's TreeWatch meeting because someone from Sarnoff's office is supposed to explain "their side." I have heard their side 100 times, how about the elected officials start listening to the side of the public and taxpayers who actually pay the bills around here? When do the taxpayers and residents get their say?

I would ask, "When do the voters get their say?" but as we saw in the last election, most of the voters don't vote. So they will NEVER get their say at that rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment