Thursday, January 19, 2012

People don't want to pay to park

So many places are closing in the Grove because people are not visiting. The main reason I hear is lack of parking or problems parking, even my friends who live in the Grove complain about parking. I don't think it's the fact that people can't find the 4800 spaces all around the area, I think it's the fact that they do not want to pay to park.

I was at a couple of arts festivals over the weekend and I didn't have to park at either one. I went to the Miami Beach Art Deco Festival and parked at a lot without meters and I went to the Pinecrest Gardens Fine Arts Festival and again, we parked for free.

But then again, Brickell and S. Miami are thriving and you do have to park in lots, at meters or in garages there, too. So maybe the parking issue is not the problem, although that is the top reason I hear from most people -- lack of parking (or the idea that they have to pay for parking).

But then I see a lot of restaurants on Commodore Plaza that are packed to the rafters -- Bombay Darbar, LoKal, Lulu and Greenstreets are usually mobbed, especially on weekends. So I guess people will find and pay for parking when there is somewhere they are interested in being. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment