Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dogs on the loose, on leashes and not

I hate writing about pets, especially dogs, because people then make me into a dog hater, which is far from the truth (I'm a cat hater, but that's another story).

This letter came in from a reader and I held onto it, but after yesterday's lunch at the Peacock Garden Cafe, where some woman brought this huge dog that wanted to bark and fight with every other dog in site, it got me to wondering, when is enough enough?

We all love our dogs. But do they need to be in restaurants and running loose all the time? Here's what a reader from the North Grove sent in:


I thought this might be an appropriate forum to discuss the increasing number of off leash dogs that have attacked other dogs (leashed) in the North Grove area. Personally, I was walking my 3 dogs about 6 weeks ago around 7ish am when a neighbor from another street had her lab mix offleash -- a lab mix that has attacked other dogs in the past. Her excuse? "She never gets to run" and "I didn't see you". She said she'd never let the dog "off leash" again. I am not so sure I believe her. Thankfully, although the lab went after one of my 3, all were fine.

Over the weekend, another neighbor was walking her dog when a pitbull mix came out of nowhere and attacked her leashed dog. The incident threw my friend to the ground causing her road rash and tremendous pain (she's going through radiation and chemo) and almost caused her dog to lose an ear. The responsible party simply said "Sorry" and "she has attacked my bullmastiff too". I have been in the Grove for some years now and the "rare" occurrence of a dog attack has turned into a common one. Why aren't people leashing/gating their dogs properly? Have you heard similar complaints?

Megan Renze
Coconut Grove

No comments:

Post a Comment