Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lots of activity on Commodore and Grand

I spent a large part of the Gallery Walk last night at Commodore Plaza, for some reason, after all these years of being drawn at the Mayfair end of the Gallery Walk, I am now drawn to Commodore. I hung out with my friends at The Loft and Frameworks, where I met Cape Cod artist Madeliene Abling and some of her friends from up north. Madeliene is quite prolific, the paint was still wet on one of the paintings! I have a great story on her and her work which will run tomorrow.

I spent a lot of time at LoKal, the burger joint, which seems to be the place to be in the Grove now. Just stand there for a bit and the whole Grove ends up there after awhile. I have seen more local service industry people there than anything! They literally come from other restaurants to eat or take out!

The reason I bring up LoKal is because a sad thing happened last night. Matt's bike was stolen from out front, and it was right in front of everyone's eyes. There must have been 100 people in the area and still, it vanished. Matt is the owner of the new LoKal.

Even sadder is that I think I saw the culprit. As I was taking photos on the corner, I saw a suspicious guy who was sort of casing the area, but there were so many people out -- families, couples, even lots of people with pets, I didn't really think anything could happen, so I took my eye of the guy who stood out for some reason, and about 10 minutes later is when Matt cried out about the bicycle being missing. Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence in Coconut Grove and I must personally know six or seven people that I could name that this has happened to.

Matt innocently did not have the bicycle locked up. He said it was out there as a piece of art, which made it even more heart breaking, I can still see his face, how badly he felt and how surprised he was at that this could happen here, only like I said, it happens here daily. The bicycle has the LoKal logo on it and big red tires, hopefully easy to spot to the police who were called out and took a report. I also gave the police a description of the guy I had seen a few minutes earlier, so here's hoping that Matt's faith can be resorted in the Grove by getting his bicycle back.

Other than that, it was a great Gallery Walk night. I also stopped in the Darma Studio and a few other place, but my favorite spot seems to be the corner of Commodore and Grand these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment