Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A little of what went on last night

Glenn Terry was one of the few who showed up to the neighborhood meeting last night at the Nelsons' house. I wish I was talking about an episode of "Ozzie and Harriett," but it was about our waterfront, which who knows, maybe in this day and age, Ozzie Nelson would sell himself out, who knows . . . 

At last night's meeting the same story has been told on and on, with one of the developers' attorneys present. Glenn and his friends feel that Scotty's should be left alone, fixed up and maybe changed owners, but keep the feel and footprint. I agree. You can read Glenn's great review of last night here.

Glenn feels like many when he says, "I'm glad I attended the meeting. It was hosted by friends. I needed to hear their point-of-view. Unfortunately I did not agree with it.
I think they've been hanging out with jaded politicians and developers who don't care about the Grove, too long." That says it all.

Another issue going around is gambling. Some see this 80-year-lease turning into gambling on the Grove waterfront, a la Monte Carlo. Is this getting out of hand now? With an 80-year-lease, anything can happen. Is the lease changeable? Once this is voted upon and the commissioners have their say, is it a done deal?

Nina West said this in an email: "We taxpayers cannot sue or vote to change one word over a period of 80 years. The city commission cannot change one word for 80 years after this lease is signed  I do not wish to rely on our Commission to vote no and protect us. A YES VOTE BY THE COMMISSION is what we will get concerning gambling and that will be fixed until the end of the lease."

Scary thought. 

One other thing that I don't know the answer to. I was told that the Garage is NOT PART OF THE VOTE. That is a done deal. IS THIS TRUE? ANYONE? ANYONE?

A VOTE AGAINST THIS PROJECT IN NOVEMBER WILL KILL IT, FOR THE TIME BEING OR FOR YEARS.

Here is the PETITION TO STOP THE PROJECT NOW. Please don't just look at it and sign it.  I have to admit I just signed it, I thought I had signed it the first day, but that was not the case. If you are not sure, please look it over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment