Thursday, May 9, 2013

The end of another popular blog

Our friends at the Gables Home Page are ceasing operation on May 18, the economics of blogging are causing them to shut down. Seems that no one wants to pay to advertise.

The Gables Home Page was one of over 20 blogs that were given grant money from the Knight Foundation a few years back, I always questioned why the Grapevine was not part of that group, as many received $100,000 and that would have been a great thing.

“While community support and accolades for the site were strong, advertising sales and funding remained a constant challenge,” said Executive Director Andria Hanley.  Amen to that.

Sounds so familiar. People would stop me daily on the street to ask me to bring the Grapevine back when I had taken that break in September. I honestly had no intention of coming back and truly enjoyed the break from the constant work schedule, but I thought I could make a go of it again if I turned it into a business and not just keep it as a free community service.

The funny thing is that none of the people who asked me to return have come forth with advertising dollars. Now would be a good time to support the Grapevine. Maybe some of the people who advertised in the Gables Home Page could advertise here, too, since we now cover Coral Gables in the Grapevine.

The ad rates are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment