Thursday, August 9, 2012

Is it art or not?

art
This is funny, but a little sad. The Jim Hunter Gallery has closed down at the Mayfair Promenade, no, that's not the sad part, but when you think of it, it is. But anyway, some sort of "green store" is going into the place, I'm not sure what.

Anyway, the gallery closed and as I was leaving the Coconut Grove Arts Festival Gallery next door, on Saturday night, during Gallery Walk, I saw these two guys who seemed to be homeless, looking into the window of the former Hunter Gallery staring at these lights. They thought they were art! It's funny because they seemed to know it was a gallery just last week, but now it is completely empty except for these lights in the window.

I was listening to them, not wanting them to know I was listening. It finally dawned on one and he said to the other, "Those are lights, it's not art." The other one then realized he was right.

The sad part came when one said to the other, "I would like to go into the gallery and look around (meaning the Arts Festival Gallery next door, where the Marianne Williamson exhibit was), but we're not dressed for it." The friend said, "We're never dressed for it." And they walked off. I was so tempted to tell them that they were more than welcome to enter the gallery and see the art, but I didn't want them to know that I had heard them, so I just let them walk off and left it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment