Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I can see why people don't vote

There has to be an easier way.

I went to vote yesterday at the Science Museum, which is where my precinct votes. It was about 9:15 am, there was no one in there except the poll workers, about 12 of them, and one guy in front of me who happened to be former Mayor Manny Diaz.


There were seven poll workers at the tables where you sign in. But for some reason, only one was assigned to help Manny and myself, since we were both in the same book.

The guy helping us was totally incompetent. Now I know it's a thankless job, working at the polls, it's long hours for little pay, but I do think the people should have a run through before they take the stage. And if one is occupied, I do believe that the others sitting there should have some means to help those next in line, rather than just sit there and twiddle their thumps trying to make jokes to awakwardly pass the time.

The guy helping Manny had no idea who he was, even though he was the Mayor for many years. He grabbed his ID and fumbled through the book. He managed to find Manny's name and hand him a Republican ticket, Manny told him that he was voting Democrat, the guy wanted to argue that Manny was a Republican. Manny actually had to prove it to him, by showing him the voter ID card. I don't think the poll worker even looked at the card, he was using the driver's license only.

Next, as Manny walked away, he realized he didn't sign his name in the book, the guy forgot to have him actually sign in, so Manny came back and told him, "You forgot to have me sign in." The guy then asks for Manny's ID again -- his driver's license. He couldn't remember the name and he didn't have a clue who it was.


He fumbled again, not finding the name and this whole check in for Manny took about 20 minutes or so. I was tempted to walk out a couple of times, but I don't think I ever missed a vote since I first started voting at 18, so I wasn't going to miss it now.

I patiently waited, Manny was very patient, and finally we got through the mess. I wanted to start yelling and I am sure Manny did, too, but we both kept our composure as to not make spectacles of ourselves.

Now remember, there were only two of us. I was wondering how they were going to handle three or four or five people at a time. One lady said to me, embarrassed by watching her co-worker stumbling, "We've been here all morning." Meaning they were exhausted. Mind you, it was only 9:15 am.

I'm sure it was a long day for those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment