Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Renita R. Samuels-Dixon running for Council

We have asked the Village Council nominees to send us a little something about themselves and their vision and their reason for wanting to be elected to the Village Council. Here is the next in the series, Renita Ross Samuels-Dixon:

I am a native of Coconut Grove. The granddaughter of Melvin R. and Hattie A.E. Jackson, who were the first generation of my family to settle in “The Grove” which was known then as “Colored Town”. I am the daughter of Sgt. Clifford Ross, a United States Marine Corp Aerial Photographer, and Mrs. Cliffonia J. Ross, an elementary school teacher. I have a son and daughter (Justin and Sierra Samuels); and, I am married to Leon Dixon. Professionally I work as a mortgage loan officer with a Coconut Grove based company.

Upon my return to Miami 12 years ago, I have been an advocate for community sustainability and equity and have actively participated in the many local organizations and causes.

Last year I was awarded a Masters Degree in International Real Estate at Florida International University (FIU).

My passion is to continue the promotion of making and marketing Miami as a “Family Friendly City” by balancing business development in the Grove while establishing synergies that will benefit every sector of our community. I believe the Cocoanut Grove Village Council provides an excellent forum to continue my community service. Additionally, the Village Council represents “government for the people by the people” in its purest form. It gives voice and audience to the concerns of our constituencies and a means to participate in the protection of our beloved Coconut Grove.

The previous bio sent in was by Stephen Murray.

No comments:

Post a Comment