Friday, March 23, 2012

Changes at the Grand Bay Hotel site

grandbay
A week or so ago, a reader emailed me, asking me to step in and shed light on the plans for the Grand Bay Hotel. He was upset that the new owners has plans to demolish the pyramid-shaped building. I asked him what could I do? He said that maybe shedding some light on the story would help stop the destruction. But to be honest, the building is not historic (it was built in 1982/83) and the owners, the Terra Group, do have plans to build a 20-story condo there.

The place does have a lot of local history for those who have an attachment to it. I remember when Michael Jackson stayed there. I mean, I wasn't privy to this other than newspaper reports, but it seemed so exciting as I drove by at the time, to think that the King of Pop was actually in that building.

The good news is that the red ribbon sculpture out front is staying. The piece by artist Alexander Liberman was actually up for grabs, but no one seemed to want it because the cost to move it was too high. So it will be nice to see it will stay.

More details in today's Miami Herald.

Do you have any special memories of the Grand Bay Hotel?

No comments:

Post a Comment