Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ways to protect yourself

Liliana Dones sent in this great list:

Stuff my grandmother and mother taught me, and a few things I picked up on my own:

STOP BEING SO POLITE. As women we are taught to be nice, to not be rude. You know what, until this rapist is caught, be rude.To stay safe, be sensible. Go with your gut. If something or someone creeps you out, don't worry about looking foolish. Scream. Hit the accelerator, lean on the car horn, RUN.

IF IT IS DARK AND DESERTED, DO NOT approach a car you think is looking for directions. Stay back, keep walking, just point to nearest big intersection tell them "go there and ask for directions" or say I don't know. Make your friends get out of the car and walk you to your front door. Even in the rain.

LOCK THE DOOR TO THE CAR, ALWAYS, even if you are just waiting for your friend to get in.

STOP TEXTING while you are walking the dog.

IF YOU MUST WALK ALONE AFTER DARK, WALK WITH A PURPOSE, and have the keys to your car, or front door out, in a fisted hand with the key poking through your middle and index fingers. If someone is following you cross the street. Keep comfortable flat shoes in your car so you can ditch the 4 inch platform shoes the minute you get into the car while you are still in a crowded, well lit area, that way you will not be teetering around when you get home, and can run, should you actually have to.

GET TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS, their work schedules and routines. Years ago, when I live in New York, I was attacked in my building while I waited for the elevator on my way to work at 8 am. I made my get away because I knew exactly which neighbor was home at that time and ran to his door screaming. It saved my life.

ORGANIZE WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS, building association or homeowner or tenants association. Organize with friends and neighbors to walk your dogs in groups of 2 or more.

GET PROFESSIONAL PROTECTION: a Brinks alarm or whatever they are called now. They've been spending a ton of money on ads about the name change promotion so maybe they have a special deal. Get a high beam light that switches on when they detect motion. It will annoy your neighbors but, so what? No rapist is going to hide in the bushes with out that thing flashing on every time he moves.

CHANGE YOUR ROUTINE. Change your running, walking or jogging patterns. This guy is serial and has been stalking the neighborhood, so fake him out.

IF YOU ARE IN YOUR CAR ARRIVING HOME LATE AT NIGHT AND THINK SOMEONE IS FOLLOWING YOU, head to the downtown area of the Grove, to where there is a crowd, Moe's Sandbar, Greenstreet. Or to any of our hotels: Mayfair, Sonesta, Mutiny. Or the firehouse on Day. If it is after 3 am, head to Flanigans.

No comments:

Post a Comment