Friday, November 20, 2009

Being civil amongst the controversy

The Village Council meeting was very civil the other night, both sides had their turns to speak and the Village Council heard them all. There was applause from the audience on both sides and I even enjoyed Ron Nelson's remarks about the Grapevine, he said that the story I wrote about people in the shadows and calling them names was disgraceful and not right.

The whole room turned to look at me sitting in the back row, but honestly, I enjoyed that part and it didn't phase me at all. I did regret calling people "mafia," and not being civil myself in that story, but I was not embarrassed about being called out in public. I knew 90% of the people in the room and I consider them all friends, so it was just friends looking back at me after Ron called me out.

In fact, I ran into CBS4 reporter Gio Benitez downstairs after the meeting, and asked him about putting that on the news.
But Gio said that he only had one and a half minutes of sound bite to show on the news out of the whole three hour meeting, and that wasn't the sound bite they would use. Too bad, we could always use the publicity.

Speaking of being civil, there was one part where a number of the Grove residents (those mostly on keep the 3 am closing time) just walked out after they had their say. The Village Council did not even speak yet to voice their concerns and opinions and this huge mass of people just stormed out as if on cue. Guess they knew the majority of the Village Council is in favor of the 5 am closings, and they didn't want to give them the courtesy of hearing their reasons why, which were very interesting and compelling.

It was very rude and uncalled for and didn't help their cause.

Here is the video report that ended up on CBS4.

No comments:

Post a Comment