Monday, December 16, 2013

Overpriced restaurants

I'm really feeling ripped off at Grove restaurants these days. Just last week, two places really took me. One place charged $12 for a health drink and $14 for a dry salad, 90% bean sprouts, no meat, hardly anything else (no, it wasn't The Last Carrot), I go to The Last Carrot almost daily and get a great lunch at a great price, but this other place lost my business forever. And to top it off, they are across the street from a former toxic dump!

The other day my friend and I went to another place, their $13.99 lunch special ended up being $40 per person with the tip, we didn't have appetizers and we drank iced tea. No dessert either.

Another place I frequent always charges about $5 to $7 more than they should for common items and we were shocked one time to pay $6 for a glass of grapefruit juice, they casually asked if I wanted a refill and that ended up being another $6! Because they feel the need to add that extra $5 to $7, I no longer go there. The nickle and diming really bothers me.

Stop it guys. It's not right.

I can see why Subway has lines around the block every day. Maybe if some of these local restaurants would be reasonable they would make it up in volume.

This past weekend I was on Lincoln Road in South Beach. Almost every restaurant, on a Sunday, had $9.95 lunch specials. They had a large variety to choose from and there was a lot of food on the plate. I ordered spaghetti with meat sauce at once place, which I think came with a side. I couldn't eat it all, it was enough for maybe three meals. One of my friends got a steak sandwich with a side and another got a burger with a side. All for $9.95 each.

It's sad when $9.95 is considered cheap for a burger. But it sure beats some of these prices I see around the Grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment