Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Getting back on my feet

I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. On July 4th, it was such a great day, I was with my family in The Hamptons. Later in the day we went to an outdoor bar/restaurant, you know, something like Scotty's Landing. One of my cousins had a gig there, he plays guitar and sings, and we all went to see him.

I had eaten a lot the day before, so I was trying not to overeat on July 4th. I ordered a Cobb Salad, which ended up being a Crab Salad, I wasn't crazy about the looks of it, but I ate it. I just knew at the time not to eat it.

After we ate, one of my younger cousins and I ran up the road a patch, about a mile, to catch the sunset at a local beach. It was so great, we were running up and down hills and had to run out on a rock jetty to get the best view. When we got back, one of my other cousins couldn't believe we had made it there and back so quickly. I told him it was great, my exact words, "I feel like a 12 year old!" I felt as if I was in the perfect shape.


Then the crab salad hit and it was all down from there.

The rest of my stay in NY was bad. I had the chills and fever on and off and then had to manage to get home to Miami on that Sunday. I don't know how, but I made it to the airport. I ran into one of our fellow Grovites, Jerry Wade, who was on the same flight, and we chatted for a long time at the gate. I told Jerry that when the plan landed, I was just going to make a made dash for home, to not be insulted if I don't wait for him and his luggage.

As luck would have it, there was a problem with the plane. Parking brakes!

A crew worked up in the cockpit for about an hour, maybe more. I was so sure they were going to have us vacate the plane for another one or even worse, tell us to come back another day, but they worked out the problem and we ended up home in Miami only about an hour late.

From there it's been just trying to get my strength back. I lost a lot of weight and power and I need to gain that strength back.


Speaking of health, our friend Ronnie Brooks who had been hit by the car, contacted me. He is well and at home and has been performing gigs. So glad to hear all is well Ronnie!

No comments:

Post a Comment